Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Gardening and graduation

Well, tonight was interesting. I packed up pots, seeds, plants, flats, dirt, gardening books, canned foods and whatever else I could fit in the truck. My goal was to introduce the scouts to the gardening merit badge. There were 5 boys that showed up, of which one went to another class and the other went to play basketball, leaving 3 scouts and 3 leaders; great 1:1 ratio I guess. I discussed a little bit about propagating plants from cuttings as well as transplanting seedlings. I was hoping the boys would want to plant some seeds for their gardening merit badge but the interest wasn't there. We transplanted some lettuce plants and ended without too much interest. Laurie baked a birthday cake for Tyson, who will be turning 14 this Sunday. I don't know where the other 8 boys were tonight, some at basketball and others not interested. The boys finished the evening playing basketball, which most boys had great interest in, go figure.

PS. Connor Wright had his scout master conference for his Life rank advancement. Congratulations on attaining this rank. Connor has served as a patrol leader, has participated in over 6 hours of service projects and has earned the necessary merit badges. He'll be eligible for his Eagle in 6 months, pending meeting his 20 days of camping with the scouts. Go Connor!

No comments:

Post a Comment